Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Big Crash!




On Monday, Jonathan and I had this kind of funny conversation about how Jack is "all boy". We talked about some of the funny things that he always does and how rough he is. So there we were getting ready for bed. Jack was taking a bath and for some reason he started throwing his stars out of the tub and thought it was funny. He doesn't usually do that. Point is...the tile floor was wet. We got into our jammies and I returned to the bathroom to clean up. Well of course Jack followed. Just as I warned him "don't run", he had the big crash. I see him just in time to see his face hit the corner of the door frame and not in enough time to catch him. I scooped him up and pulled him away to look and his left eye is full of blood and still bleeding. Mixing with tears of course. Problem...he won't let me look at it because he is just burying his head in my shoulder and chest. We went to seek help from daddy. After a few minutes we managed to console him a little but he still wouldn't let me examine his eye. I knew there was a small cut on his upper eyelid. Since I can't see his face, I was having Jonathan describe to me what he could see. So the cutest thing is that while we are trying to examine his eye, he looks up at Jonathan and says, "dada, let oli in" because Oli was scratching at the door and we weren't paying attention. So we debate a few minutes on treatment. How is it that I have eight years of critical care nursing experience, work in the 5Th busiest ER in the nation as a trauma nurse and I fall apart when Jack gets hurt and don't know whether or not he needs to see a MD? My dilemma was that I was concerned about damage to his actual eyeball, like vision problems. I thought the little cut would be ok and knew that he was going to have a shiner, but got paranoid that he hurt his eye. Jonathan agrees but says, "you know you won't sleep if we don't take him". I told him he was right and called up my friends at the ER. We took him in for a quick exam by the MD. He looked in his eye (which Jack was NOT happy about) and said that the eye was ok. He thought he could probably put a couple of stitches in but thought it would be worse on Jack to try that as opposed to watching it. I agreed. We said our thank-yous and returned home. Jack was over it by then. He came strutting into the kitchen with my tennis shoes on, his cap on backwards and posed for a picture. Like he was proud of it. So we took some Tylenol and placed an ice pack and went to bed. I think Jack has barely noticed it since then.

No comments: